Monday, May 17, 2010

Meet your Waterloo Show Manager - Sean Thurm



Hey Everyone! I’m the one that talks to you every day through the blog. Thought maybe you’d like to know a little about your show managers. We’ll have more on Erin later (she’s running the Iowa Falls Show)...


Anyway, if you read the About Me section you’ll find that I’m a college student at Kirkwood. I like it a lot...it’s a great school. My major is Business Management. Right now I work as a part time shift manager at Family Foods in Grundy Center. Right after high school I spent one semester at the University of Northern Iowa and was in the UNI Panther Marching Band – can you imagine performing in front of 15,000+ fans 6 times in one football season? IT WAS AMAZING! Well, now I am at Kirkwood and will graduate in December 2010.

I got into horses early in my life. My parents owned horses since I was 5 and it all just sort of happened. Russ and Kelly Reynolds, some close friends of ours, really got me started when we bought my first horse Reynstorm Bey. She was a beautiful black and white pinto Half-Arabian mare. We had her in training for about a year and I enjoyed riding her when she was there. We gave her the winter off to just be a horse and were going to put her back in training to finish the following spring. However, Stormy got hurt that winter and we could no longer ride her. So the next year I purchased a breeding at the Gold Star Futurity to R Last Star. The resulting foal I named Black Velvet ST. She was a beautiful Stormy look-alike. I did all the training with her. We ended up taking a top five at the IaAHA highpoint after only one show and we took home a top 5 and a reserve championship from the Gold Star her yearling year. That same year I purchased a breeding to *Fausto CRH – a gorgeous chestnut stallion. Since then I have sold Velvet to a breeding farm in Wisconsin. So I will be breeding Fausto to a Real Bonanza daughter this year.
In the past few years, I’ve been a director for the Iowa AHA and Vice President of Center Point Saddle Club. I have helped Kelly Reynolds with fun shows in Waterloo and Mason City so now I guess it’s my turn.
Hope to have a great time with you at the shows this year! See you all then!

No comments:

Post a Comment